Monday, November 17, 2008

Declaring Myself a Fan

I'm not a sports fan. Never have been. Football = painful to watch. Baseball = boring. Soccer = makes me tired just sitting there. The list could go on from there. I've always been found of watching DJ play lacrosse and actually consider myself a fan of the sport. What will happen though when the little bro is no longer protecting the goalies net? I probably will no longer be in the stands. Sad but true.


Over the past year however there has been one sport and sports team that has been creeping up on my tolerance scale.


The Utah Jazz.


Last year I kind of got into the play offs and "Caught The Fever." I was always interested in what was going on, where they were playing, if they could win away from home, etc. It was weird for me to care about basketball or sports at all. I picked up a few statistics about the team during that time and got to know the key players.


This year has been a continuation of the interest. I went to a game a couple of weekends ago with my dad and found myself wanting to know more. Asking questions. PAYING ATTENTION! I still talked through a majority of the game but I knew what the final score was! I knew who the highest point earner was! I knew who was on the bench due to injuries! It was a completely knew feeling to me.

Then came the real challenge. They went on the road. Was I going to find out how they did on their games that weren't here in Utah? Was I that into it? I DID! I knew which day their games were scheduled and I even looked up the scores and read articles about how they did. (Which wasn't that encouraging because they do so poorly on the road.)


So... Tonight I went with my family to the Utah Jazz game against the Phoenix Suns. It was AWESOME! I couldn't stop watching. I didn't get up the entire game because I didn't want to miss anything! I asked my Dad and DJ one million questions. Questions about the players, the rules, why Shaquille O'Neil was the size of a bus. That guys is HUGE! I can't seem to get enough. The game was incredible and in the last quarter they decided to just seal the game and take a twenty point lead. It was exhilarating! I was jumping out of my seat when Millsap had the best block in the history of the world! I was back out of my seat when Korver hit a three with thirty seconds left. I was screaming, cheering, jumping! It was the weirdest feeling ever!

To you, being a fan of a sports team may seem like no big deal. For me this is uncharted waters. Territory I've never discovered. It's completely foreign to me. I'm new at this and I don't knew how long it will last or how far it will go but tonight, right now, I am officially declaring myself the newest member of the Utah Jazz fan club!

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Hannah said...

weird.

Page said...

The Jazz are also the only sports team that I get excited about. I don't know why they are so addicting. It may have something to do with Kyle Korver's looks...

Am I allowed to say that?

Kim said...

Remember when me and you went to a play off game. that was wonderful. One of those pictures is the background on my lap top so I can remember you.

Carly A said...

I didn't even understand half of this post. I guess I am not a sports fan.