Tuesday, November 4, 2008

And the winner is...

Over the past few days we have been talking about the presidential election in my second and third grade classroom. We have been learning fun facts about the candidates including their birthday, interests, hobbies, etc. Today we did a mock election. If my students were voting the winner would be...
John McCain

The final count was Mccain 23 votes (57%) Obama 17 votes (43%)

My students then wrote a journal entry on why they would vote for the person they chose. *** Remember the following information came from 7, 8, and 9 year olds. It's 100% correct.***

These are the reasons my students chose John McCain...
  • "He reminds me of my grandpa."
  • "I chose McCain because he has the same birthday as me, August 29."
  • "I like him because he has lots of pets, including parakeets which are my favorite."
  • "He seems really nice, and really old."
These are the reasons my students chose Barack Obama...
  • "Obama was born in the same country as me, Illinois."
  • "I like him because his favorite food is chili, YUM.
  • "I want Obama to win because my dad says he will take money from rich guys and give it to us. That would be cool."
  • "Obama should win because he would be fun to play basketball with."

I bet you wish you would have know all of these amazing reasons before you voted. I wish I had.

Don't you miss the days when life was that simple?

1 comment:

Ali Snow said...

I love that. Kids have such an innocence. I'm glad you put their reasons too. Classic.