Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Safari Fun

What I saw on the Serengeti and Ngoragora:

  • elephants
  • giraffes
  • gazelles
  • jackals
  • lions and cubs
  • warthogs
  • hippopotamus
  • crocodiles
  • zebras
  • buffalo
  • cheetah
  • leopard
  • ostrich
  • marmoset
  • flamingo
  • fox
  • hyena
  • snakes
  • baboons
  • monkeys
  • and many more

There were many highlights of the trip but here are some of the coolest events that happened:

  • On the first day there was a lioness with five baby cubs. The cubs were really small and adorable. They all walked right in front of our jeep and then right next to our car. They were less than five feet away from us. No big deal! It was crazy cool but it gets better. So then the lion spotted a Pumba warthog. The lion quietly snuck up on the warthog and then just like on Animal Planet she chased him down. When she was chasing it, it did a U-turn and ran back toward us. She then pounced on it and killed it. Now don’t be sad, it’s the circle of life.
  • One morning I woke up and was brushing my teeth by my tent. I looked up and there was a giraffe standing directly behind my tent. It was just chillin, eating from a tree. They are the most gorgeous, graceful animals and I just felt lucky.
  • We saw a king lion from 10 feet away. Babba (our guide) drove up onto the grass, opened the door and slammed it to wake him up. The lion sat up and starred right at us with these huge yellow eyes. It was seriously amazing. I have got to say that I was just a little bit scared that he might charge the jeep and eat us. I guess that would have been a great story to tell. Being eaten is always a good crowd pleaser.
  • One morning we woke up and learned that the night before there had been a lion and a hyena in our camp the night before. The guides told us that is normal and happens all the time but hello, it freaked me out.
  • I loved when we saw a herd of elephants. There was about fifteen of them hanging out and playing together. The young ones were playing and messing around. They were joining their trunks and clashing their tusks together. It was really fun to watch elephants play and mess around.

3 comments:

Karrissa Winward said...

Oh gosh! What an adventure!

Page said...

I was thinking, if I were going to go on an African safari with all those animals, and I had to choose someone to go with, Lindsi Marie would probably be my first choice. I can imagine your reactions to and comments about the animals being quite funny. So, next time I go to Africa, I'll bring you along.

ABCD said...

Lindsi--- your posts get me so excited!!! ill be there next week, yippeeee! hope things are great, see ya soon :)