Wednesday, July 16, 2008

10 Things I Love About Lugazi, Uganda

  1. The amazing people here that are so giving and the desire they have for help and change.
  2. The fruit market-Huge avocados are 10 cents! There is also the most delicious pineapple and mangos I have ever had!
  3. The beautiful children. The run to us in the streets to hold our hands, play with us, and do "bonga" which is a fist pound. They yell "muzungu" everywhere we go, which means rich white person.
  4. Irene- She is our cook and our friend. She is so kind to me all the time and does so much for us every day! I don't know what us "muzungus" would do without her.
  5. Mosquito Nets- I always wanted a canopy bed when I was a little girl. It is also helping me not get malaria, which is good.
  6. PWD meetings- Persons With Disabilities is one of the projects here. We do meeting for the mothers and fathers of children with disabilities. Somebody teaches a lesson while the rest of the volunteers play with the children. Thursdays are my favorite day of the week because of these meetings. It has been a life changing experience working with these great women and children!
  7. The street vendors- I love buying scones that you watch come out of the grease, maize (cooked corn), and my favorite chipotee (a fried tortilla, we compare it to cafe rio tortillas). Kind of scary to eat all the jazz but super delicious.
  8. Working with the teachers in the schools. The school life here is very different from American (duh) but the teachers are doing their very best with the little they have. It is very fun to get to go into their classrooms and work with them all on an individual basis. It is great to teach alongside them! It has been a very good learning opportunity for me.
  9. How cheap everything here is. It costs 200 shillings (about 1.25) to have someone do a load of laundry for you. A medium sized pineapple is 1200 shillings (75 cents). I can get 3 fanta sodas for a dollar. It is awesome!
  10. The hardworking women that carry a baby on their back in a blanket, a bowl full of items to sell on their head, and usually something else heavy in their hands. They make it look so easy and they work so hard. It is crazy!

1 comment:

b.lowe said...

Lindsi! I just came across your blog and have been reading about your Ugandan adventures! (I blogged about Uganda too!) I'm sad we never saw each other when we were there!! (can I add some more exclamation points, jeez...!)