Thursday, July 10, 2008

No Big Deal... Just Free Falling!



That is right ladies and gentleman! I, Lindsi Marie Sullivan, am an official Nile River Extraordinaire! No joke! Last Saturday we went rafting on the Nile! It is some of the craziest rafting in the world and it was amazingly cool! DJ, Katie, Kelsi, Tori, Kira, Mike, Jeff, Dan, Seran, and myself went! It was a great adventure! Some people got really scared and didn't like it when we got thrown out of the raft but I found it exhilarating! We were rafting Class 3, 4, and 5 rapids all day and having a blast. Our raft which included: me, Katie, Seran, Jeff and Dan flipped 4 times because the boys really wanted it to happen. Our guide Davey thought it was great that we wanted to flip and so he helped them out. I liked flipping and getting bounced around on the rocks and through the rapids but I never had a time when I felt like I was in danger or drowning. A couple of the others with us got really scared because they felt like they were under too long and out of control. Kelsi even went into shock a little because she was so scared. That night we stayed at a campsite along the Nile. We slept in this little ghetto dorm room style place with all 10 of us in one room. When I opened my bed there were two huge geckos in my bed with me. They were my sleeping buddies for the night. that night we chilled at the bar with all the drunks and relaxed. It was beautiful! I took a shower (the first hot shower I have had in a month!) and there are doors to the shower but once you are inside it is just an open room looking out over the Nile river! It was beautiful, I basically showered in nature! The next morning we got up and went to church in Jinga. Church here is so different than in America but the spirit is the same and the people have a great love for the gospel. It is a great feeling being with the people in the branch here. That afternoon Katie got this crazy idea in her head that she wanted to go bungee jumping! I kept telling here she was nuts and Rylee and I vowed to never do it. However, as we were on the boda boda (motor scooter) ride to the bungee spot Rylee and I had a change of heart. We decided why not. You're only in aFREAKa once! So we sucked it up and did it! Honestly, it was the scariest experience of my life however it was so fun! The pictures tell the story better than I could.


They are getting me ready to jump up in the tower. Look closely at my face. How do you think I feel about this adventure?


They are making me take my hand down off the tower. I'm at risk to puke or pee my pants right now.



They are counting me down. 1,2,3 Bungee. I am trying to be brave and I'm in crouching tiger position but again... look at my facial expression. Corbin and I call this The Bulldog.



One of the first things they tell you as you are getting ready is that you should never jump out feet first because that is when you get whiplash. They tell you to make sure you dive out. Does it look like I dove? Oh no, I got scared and stepped straight off, that means I went feet first! Everyone thought I was going to die!



Yep, I'm the idiot who bungeed feet first! Looks kinda cool though!



This is my favorite picture! I feel totally Bad A**!



Swinging in the air!


I remember modesty at all times. Even when I just jumped off a tower to my possible death. I had a death grip on my shirt I guess. I don't even remember that!



In the raft and feeling victorious!



Rylee and I decided to come back for more and go tandem! So sweet!



I also love this shot! We were freaking out! Rylee kept flipping her arms around and screaming! It was awesome!

What a crazy life I lead! I need to post more about our day to day life here in Lugazi with pictures but that will have to wait until another day! Peace out from Africa!

7 comments:

Hannah said...

You are insane! I'm so surprised that you are still alive to tell this story. If anyone was going to die bungee jumping- it'd be you. You should really think harder before doing things like that.

Emily said...

I am SO glad that there were pictures of the jumping to go along with this post. This is pretty awesome Linds! YOU are AWESOME!

Jackie Sullivan said...

CRAZY GIRL! I wish I could have been there to see you do that! I'm so excited to see all you pictures and hear all about this trip! We all miss you so much and pray that you will be safe while doing crazy things in Africa!
We love you!

kathy kimball said...

Hi Miss Sullivan - you are one crazy gal - good for you!! Jonah has something he wants to say:
i miss you and i love you, love jonah
Hope you're having tons of fun!! Jonah is also impressed with all of the animals you are seeing- thanks for posting the great animal picts!

Jonah and Kathy

Byrds said...

YOU ARE OUT OF CONTROL!! The pictures do an amazing job of telling the story, I am laughing out loud here all by myself at the computer!

katers said...

Just when I think you can't surprise me anymore, you go and do it again! You have to have the most entertaining blog I've ever read. You're totally crazy, and soo much more brave than I am, and I love that about you!

Lacey Freeman said...

Wow, you are CRAZY! I don't even know if I could do that if my life depended on it! You got some REALLY COOL pictures though!