I have been back in Utah for 6 days now and still haven't posted pictures from Uganda. I am ready now! This is a picture walk through the common sites I would see on a normal day in Lugazi. Get ready.
The volunteers live in 2 houses because there were so many of us. There were 8 of us that lived in the boys quarters at the Mayors house. This picture is of the Mayor, Deo. I like his pimp hat.
This is Molly. She is one of the house girls hired by Deo to keep his home clean. I would see her several times every day. She is wearing the WWF wrestling towel I gave her. It was a big sacrifice to give it up but look how happy she is.

In the morning, I would go to Mike the Chapati man. He would make me my Rolex every morning (flour tortilla fried with egg wrapped in it).

This is Mike in his sweet Chapati stand.

I miss chapati.

This is a Ugandan Taxi. The would shove as many people, animals, and other goods into one of these as they could. I rode in one once with 26 other people, 3 chickens, 2 screaming babies, and a bag of beans under my feet so that I couldn't put my feet down. Pretty fun. Oh and yes... those are chickens on the roof of this picture. NBD (No Big Deal.)

The neighborhood.



Chickens, everywhere.

The Milan where I frequently ate lunch. They had delicious omelets. I don't know what DSTV is but it is the reason I went here.

Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner for 6 weeks. Rice, beans, cabbage, posho. Imagine what this diet would do to your stomach. Horrible.

Every time we came or left our house we were mobbed by the street children. They couldn't get enough of the "Muzungus".

They would wait outside our gate.


This is how I did my laundry. A bucket and a bar of soap. I was so bad at it and only kind of tried to actually clean my clothes.

Tori is trying to show me up by squatting to do her laundry the way the Africans do it. I can't help it my knees can't handle all the squatting. I'm obviosuly not a real African woman. :)

This it the main house where all 24 of us hung out during the day and ate dinner together every night. It was a little squishy. The yellow containers hold our fresh drinking water.

The living room. We sat on plastic lawn chairs and there were generally people everywhere.
This is the huge and luxurious kitchen. Don't strain your eyes trying to see all the way in the back... it's just too big for that.
Our working wall. It has our monthly calendar, weekly schedule, chore chart, project assignments, etc. Also, our awesome maroon valor couch. So nice.

This is half of my bedroom at the Mayor Deo's house. I shared a room with 3 other fabulous girl. Ashley Ward (she is the one in the picture, sitting on her bed), Tori Blonquist, and Leslie Miles. We were a mess.

This shows our nightly ritual of chillin' in our messy room. Myself, Tori B., and Dan's legs are chillin' on my bed. In this picture Tori and I are probably eating peanut butter or some other delicious treat, writing fantastic song parodies while Dan tells us inappropriate jokes, and laughing so hard that Tori pees her pants. That's just how we roll.

By the end of the day my feet always looked this fantastic. I wonder why my white sheet was orange no matter how many times I washed it? Any guesses?


So as you can see Lugazi is a pretty rad place. I sure did love it!
2 comments:
Hey Lindsi-
Wow what a fun adventure?! I know Kim is super glad you are home, we all are. The Crane family has not been the same without you. Tanner and Mason are excited to go wimmin in the wimmin pool now that you are back.I don't know if Kim told you but Tanner and I had an argument the day you left. He would not get it in his head that we were going to wait till you came back from your trip to swim. He thought that we were going that day and kept saying we needed to get ready to go to Lindsi's house to go swimming. Pretty funny. Sorry for the long comment. Glad you came back.
Hope to see ya soon,
Amber
OH MY LINDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS-I . I miss you and this blog of yours made me miss lugazi immensely. you're awesome and i'm stealing all these pics...why? cause i ride the short bus and plus there are viruses on my flash drive that holds all my pics.
all my love,
tor
Post a Comment