Friday, March 7, 2008

Parent Teacher Conferences: Cruel and Unusual Punishment

Wednesday and Thursday were parent teacher conferences. I think that the whole concept is extremely rude to teachers. I understand you want to know what's going on in the classroom and how your child is doing academically. However, there has got to be a better system then making the teacher teach all day and then stay from 3-9 talking to parents . Then the teacher has to get up the next morning and go through the same process again. It's slightly miserable. I love to talk and so you would think I would enjoy this time but I now realize that mostly I like to talk about myself. (I am sure you are shocked by this confession, but it's true.) So, the chatting about kids thing doesn't work out that well.
I will admit that it is fun to meet the parents and get a little better understanding of why the student is the way they are. It is also nice to praise the kids that are hard workers and doing well. It is just hard when you have constructive criticism or areas of concerns. No parent wants to hear their child is struggling or that they are misbehaving. That is absolutely no fun for them or me.
So in conclusion I propose someone come up with a better system so that I'm not so grumpy to my class the whole week of conferences because they are causing me stress and pain. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Lacey Freeman said...

Where I work, the parent teach conferences were this past Thursday and Friday. On Thursday parents could come meet from 3-7 and then on Friday the students didn't have school and the teachers were able to finish up conferences....sounds like a little better deal to me...