Monday, June 23, 2008

Tanzania Adventures!

Hello from Tanzania! A group of about 8 of the volunteers planned a trip to go to Tanzania for a week while we are here and I just couldn't be left out! We left on Saturday and flew from Uganda to Tanzania. We ended up getting to the hostel pretty late so we found a place to eat that was absolutely delicious before we went back to go to bed. We went to dinner at a place called McMoody's and it was divine. If any of you went there today you probably would be less than impressed but we crave normal food here. They had shakes, burgers, fries, pizza, the whole deal. I have decided not to eat any meat while in Africa because it scares me but I still found delicious choices. On Sunday we slept in and then went to a fabulous fruit market and had the tastiest apple of my life! We also went to a market that had crafts and traditional handmade stuff. I was all about the jewelry. I got a ton of earrings, bracelets, etc. I also got a hand carved nativity made of ebony wood. BEAUTIFUL!! Bartering here is a ton of fun and you can get some great deals if you are tricky enough, you can also get ripped off if you aren't. We then went to this weird snake park and they had snakes and crocodiles found in Tanzania. It was creepy. We also went to a little craft village of the Messai people. It was crazy cool to see some traditional meesai people in their clothing and jewelry. We have spent most of our night chilling at the hostel which is a lot of fun because I have been able to meet some super interesting people. They are all really free spirited, granola, hippy types and I find it a fun new experience. Today we rented a bus and drove to the mountains at the base of Mount Kilimanjaro. We went hiking around the base of Kilo to a super sweet waterfall. It wasn't a hard hike but it was raining the whole time and I have never been in a muddier situation in my life. We were basically sliding down the mountain. We were hiking through villages and the people thought it was hilarious. I obviously fell a ton, and 4 time I was actually on my butt on the ground. It was awesome! We looked ridiculous and it was extremely cold but it was amazing! I have been in some beautiful places in my life but I have honestly never seen anything like this. We weren't able to see the top of Kilo until later in the evening when the clouds had cleared up but it was pretty dang amazing. I feel like I ask myself everyday, "Who does this? Who gets these experiences in their life?" I am so blessed and having a blast! Tomorrow we leave for a four day safari and I can't wait. I will take tons of pictures. I have to post this one picture less as well because I am at the hostel Internet and have no camera cord or any pictures however when I get back to Lugazi, Uganda next week I will have an all picture post I swear! Peace out for now!

4 comments:

Kim said...

sounds amazing!

Page said...

COOL! Can't wait to see pictures.

Byrds said...

Wow Linds! That is awesome, but I am a small bit jealous!! I'm excited to see your pictures! Do you eat meat now that is not in Africa?

C Crane said...

Sounds great, can't wait to hear more of your adventures!