Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Disaster Child
I'm actually here! I am now officially living in Lugazi, Uganda! It is beautiful, wonderful, fun, heartbreaking, eye-opening, exciting, and much more! The people here are so amazing and giving. They have very little and they would still give you everything they can. It gives me inspiration for the kind of person I want to be. I feel like I was able to jump right into the projects and work they are doing here because of my knowledge as a teacher. That has been really nice and I am really exciting about the projects I will be working on. I also have the worst luck while traveling! I have already had some crazy events happen. When we arrived in Lugazi on Thursday my luggage did not arrive with me. None of it. So I had to mooch clothes, hygiene items, food, and everything else off the other volunteers here! The outfit combinations I ended up with were highly entertaining. I did not receive my luggage until yesterday (Monday). It was a crazy couple of days and I have never been so grateful for underwear. I now own two pair of underwear purchased in Uganda and I'm pretty excited about it! This weekend we went to Mount Elgon which is an area in the mountains here where there are beautiful waterfalls and great hikes. We stayed in the most amazing bungalow resort. It was out of this world! I couldn't believe how nice it was and it felt like paradise. The hikes we went on were pretty intense and on the first day a terential downpour happened while we were hiking. It was crazy! On one of the hikes I ended up falling (imagine that) and bashing my knee on a rock. It got really swollen and filled with water. I think I probably bruised the bone and for a few days it hurt really bad. It is feeling tons better today but I am hoping that is my injury for the trip, you never know with me though! Everyone here already thinks I am a disaster child! :) This has to be a fast post and pictures will come another day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ahhh I miss you so much. I can't believe you are there. OF course you lost your luggage, and hurt your knee. Poor girl you have the worst luck. At least you always have good stories to tell. I'm so jealous you are there. Keep updating everything I want details. Lova ya!
Post a Comment