Factoid 1: I moved into my condo about 3 months ago. HOLY CRAP!! I just realized it's been 3 months. Wow!
Anyway. Moving on.
Factoid 2: I love my place and haven't had any significant problems since I moved in. The appliances were written into my contract and so they were purchased by the previous owners. They are in great condition, only a year old, blah, blah, blah.
Factoid 3: I don't cook. Ever. I think I have used the oven twice since I moved in and it was probably to heat pizza or something. I'm not domestic.
The Freak Accident: The other day I was just bustling around the kitchen. I'm serious, I bustle. When I looked at my oven and noticed that the inside piece of glass on the oven window looked weird. I looked closer and thought it looked like grease was on it. I was seriously confused at how grease would get all over. Remember, I don't cook. I open the oven door and to my bewilderment the glass window FALLS APART! The inside piece was completely shattered. I was shocked! Never, in my existence had I heard of this happening. Have you?
I didn't know what to do so I just closed the door and walked away. I needed to gather my thoughts. I pretended for about ten minutes that the whole thing had never happened. That didn't last very long though because every time I took a step in the kitchen another piece of glass would break free from the mass and fall onto the kitchen floor. It was time to take action.
First- I googled tempered glass to see what I was working with. It was really informative. I learned things I never knew.
Second- I put on my snow boots, a great way to fully protect the feet.
Third- Took pictures with my camera. Proof.
Fourth- Got out my scissors and a vacuum. The scissors were to break the shattered glass apart with (using the handle, duh).
Fifth- Cleaned up the mess while listening to "Breaking Glass" by David Bowie with a smile on my face.
So, that's it. Two more moments in my life that lead to a story in which I feel like I can say, "You might not know anyone that has had this happen to them but I...."
Proof:
The original scene

A close up.
Wise Geek told me that the brittle nature of tempered glass causes it to shatter into small oval-shaped pebbles when broken. That is true, as you can see.

My vacuum filter. This was half way through. I emptied it twice.

So the big question is...
What do you do when the tempered glass on your oven breaks? Who do you call? Any suggestions...
5 comments:
How bizarre! That story made me laugh actually, as it's just the kind of thing that would happen to me :)
I'd suggest maybe talking to the admin at your complex to see what they'd suggest doing. If it's only a year old, there has to be some kind of warantee.
If that doesn't help, I'd check the brand's website to see if they have a support section, manuals, or warantee information. Even an 800 number could work.
Good luck! :) What a freak thing! I've never heard of that happening.
When you find the Holiday spirit, send it my way! :-).
Merry Christmas!
What a freaky situation. I love it! I loved reading it but would've hated dealing with it.
Paige
What a freaky situation. I love it! I loved reading it but would've hated dealing with it.
Paige
Post a Comment