Thursday, January 24, 2008

AGRHHH! I CAN'T SLEEP!

In the past few months I have this newly developed problem in my life. I can't sleep. It is currently two o'clock in the morning and I've got nothing. Last night I finally fell asleep at about 4:30 am and I had to get up for work at 6:15. Shoot me now. The thing I don't understand is why the sudden problem? I have always been a super sleeper! It was actually something I was proud of! Now I struggle hardcore to get to sleep and then I am tired and grumpy Gus all day long. I feel like I have tried everything I can think of. I change beds, read, watch t.v., blog, take pills, etc. Once I am a sleep I am totally fine and I stay asleep. I just can't get there. So the purpose of this post is to present this question. What should I do? Any suggestions? I'm dying here team.

7 comments:

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Well I know this doesn't sound very fun but it really works good for me and has a great benefit as well..I will run on the treadmill unti I am beat..or bike or just workout really hard...that way I burn calories and sleep really well because I am pooped! good luck though

taylor and laney said...

my advice is wake up early, like five thirty or five and exercise in the morning, that way by the end of the day you are exhausted. reading scriptures in bed always helps too.

Hannah said...

Haha! I love the scriptures comment! May advice doesn't require any exercising, so you should be happy. :) There was a period of time when I had a really hard time sleeping (I was like 10, but still, I remember it). And we finally figured out that my problem was that I was just too stressed out about it. I got into bed worrying if I was going to be able to sleep...and never did because I sat there thinking about it and getting more and more stressed. So, my parents finally just told me "ook, you know what, if you don't fall asleep...who cares! If it takes you hours...oh well! You're going to survive." This actually helped me quite a bit. Suddenly, I wasn't stressing I just thought, "Oh well!" and then I started sleeping sooner! My parents also got me one of those subliminal messages relaxation tapes that I listened to with a walkman. It sounded like the ocean or something, but underneath it was saying all these soothin, relaxing things. I know that seems weird, and you know I'm no voo doo, tree hugger, granola person, but all I know is that I started sleeping again pretty soon. The mind is a strong and powerful thing. It can keep your body awake despite how tired it is. Anyway, this is what worked for me.

taylor and laney said...

are you sleeping any better yet???

JenSwen said...

Poor thing! I asked Scott on this one. He says one of the best things you can do is have really good "sleep hygeine," meaning developing very consistent sleep habits to train your body to sleep well. Including going to bed and waking up at the same time every night, doing calming things before bed, etc. I told him I thought this was common knowledge and so he said his "real suggestion" is to go to the doctor and get a prescription for Ambien, Lunesta, or Sonata. Also, sleep problems can be connected to mood changes or life stressors, so you could mention that to your doctor if you think it's a possibility. But several months of bad sleep sounds miserable, so you shouldn't have to keep dealing with that. Don't know if that was much help or just a lot of stuff you already know, but good luck!

*Scott wants to add the disclaimer that he is only in his second year of med school and not an expert yet. :)

Hannah said...

Maybe the fact that there is no update on this situation means that Lindsi is actually sleeping now. Hmmm....

MCA said...

alright Lindsi this is what you have to do. When you go to bed just think happy thoughts, like Saturday Night CALM (Carly, Avery, Lindsi, Michael). Notice you are in the family now. So remember be CALM. Don't worry about school or life decisions, just live until Saturday Night.