Friday, December 21, 2007

How to Build an Igloo

You may be under the impression that you know how to build an igloo but you're wrong. I'm not trying to be harsh or anything but I can't lie to you about it. I thought I knew too but it turns out it's a lot trickier than I thought. I now realize that I could never be an Eskimo and I admire their hard work and dedication.


Here are the steps for making an amazing igloo:
  • Step 1: Wait for a solid snow storm. This storm came for me two Sundays ago. The snow was perfect packing snow and just the right wetness.
  • Step 2: Recruit workers. It took a lot of persuading and bribing but I was able to talk Slim and Donna into participating in the work project.
  • Step 3: Acquire the appropriate equipment. We needed something to mold the snow bricks into rectangles to create authenticity regarding our igloo. We used shoe boxes that we lined with tin foil. That was Slim's genius idea!
  • Step 4: Assemble appropriate snow attire. For me that included my sweet 1992 Utah Jazz snow coat, pink and grey snow hat from the 80's, and my dad's snow pants (they were a little big). I look good.
  • Step 5: Create the base of the igloo by stacking the snow bricks until they are 5 rows tall. This takes a lot of patience and you must be good at negotiating with your workers to keep them on the project. I promised treats, unlimited compliments, and I let them hit me with snowballs. They're easy.
  • Step 6: When the base is built you throw some boards on top. You may not have heard of this technique before, however, it's normal protocol in igloo making. Trust me.
  • Step 7: Get out the riding law mower with the snow blade attachment and scoop all the snow on the grass into a large pile. My greatest regret in life is not having a picture of Slim doing this. It was awesome!

  • Step 8: Carefully place the snow on top of the boards and smooth it out. Round the snow into a smooth dome shaped mound.
  • Step 9: Step back and take a moment to admire your fantastic work!
Here are a few more pictures just in case you weren't able to get the full visual from the steps. It sounds like a lot of work but it is worth it in the end. :)
Disclaimer: Our igloo fell apart about 3 hours later. I know what a huge disappointment this is. I had to wait until the end to tell you. Otherwise you wouldn't have read on; I know I wouldn't have.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Page said...

You guys are too funny!! I can't believe you made that. Incredible.

Lacey Freeman said...

okay so one year my whold family came out to utah for christmas, and since we are from alabama we had never seen so much snow. we decided to be brave and try to attempt to make an igloo, and it worked!! ours stayed up clear until march, because it had turned into solid ice!