Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My First Love...

I am about to tell you the story of my first love. It is tender, emotional, and real. This will prove that I too have feelings and emotions

It all started when I was 12 years old. I was introduced to my first love. The Backstreet Boys. This means I have been in love for 15 years. Wow, top that. At first it was just an interest, then it turned into more. From there it very quickly turned into obsession. I own every album, went to every concert in Utah, have the biography of their lives, and until 4 months ago had a backstreet boys video. I gave the video to Kim as a gift to remember our years living together. I felt like it was a huge sacrifice and showed her how much her friendship means to me. She gave the tape to D.I., jerk. When I was 13 I wanted to find Backstreet Boys wallpaper however their was no such thing so instead I made my own. I completely covered my walls in posters cut from those teeny bopper magazines. It was super cool. I even hated, despised, and lothed NSYNC because some people thought they were superior to my boys. There was no real competition though, BBoys were simply better, no arguments about it. I knew all their names (and still do). Nick Carter, Howie Dorough, A.J. McClean, Kevin Richardson, and of course Brian Litrell. In the rebelious days of my life I said I was in love with A.J. but I think that was mostly to freak my parents out because of all his piercings and tattoos. I was really 100% dedicated and loyal to Brian.


Then things got rocky and they sometimes do. We grew apart. I grew up and I moved on. I forgot about the boys and started trying knew things. Sure I would listen to their cd's every now and again. For old times sakes. I even kept a folder of a few really great posters from our times together. Every 6 months I would sometimes google them to see any recent articles about them or news. I was just checking on them. I wanted to make sure they were still alive and doing okay. Even though I didn't completley forget them they were no longer a part of my life.

Then it happened. Three days ago I was just doing my thing on i-tunes when I saw it. Their new cd! I couldn't believe it. I couldnt' resist. I knew it was wrong and that I should stay away but I had no control. I had to at least be curtious to our past love and listen to the samples of their song. Well I listened to one song and then I immediatley downloaded the entire cd. I Listened to the whole thing twice through and started doing my research. I had to know all the knew details. There are now only 4 members of the group and I had to know why Kevin left. I needed to know if they were having a tour, who sang what parts in their songs, etc. I have been a mess ever since. I have to listen to the cd at least twice daily but I try for three. It kills me that I don't know all the words yet to the songs. I'm yet again obsessed. I am a 23 year old female that cannot get over her first music love. Is it wrong? Probably. Is it sad? Yes. Am I pathetic? Most definately. However nothing is gonna stop me now.

If you have seen the movie Music and Lyrics. I feel like all those old lady groupies that followed Hugh Grant's character around to Knottsberry Farms and Highschool reunions. I wouldn't be surprised if I am like that when I am 50+. Still stalking the BBoys. Googling them, checking tour dates, and singing all their songs in the shower. They are unreplacable and they will always be my number 1. I guess it is true that you never get over your first love.

Don't judge me.

8 comments:

Kim said...

Can someone get me some tissues? That was so tender Linds. I'm glad you are in love again. Also, I don't appreciate being called a Jerk on your blog.. a jerk is a tug, a tug is a boat, a boat floats on water, water is beautiful.. haha. So you think I'm beautifuL! You thought you were zinging me but really you were giving me a nice compliment.

Emily said...

Where is Kevin Richardson? Is that even his name? Is he too good for those boys from the backstreet or what? And Nick C. is looking good. Really good. He must be working out.

I'm glad Jason doesn't read your blog, at least that I know of.

Carly A said...

I totally judged you, not because you were obsessed, but because of the Bboys obsession. I was an NSYNC fan through and through (I still like Bboys- me and Lacey made a pact to like them both). Though I do have to say that you win the obsession part. I loved NSYNC, but I don't think I have googled them at all in the last 5 years. Maybe Justin. But its okay Linds. Out of all the Bboys I liked Brian the best. I remember hearing that he had had heart surgery and it made me feel bad for him and so there was a place in my heart for him. I do have to agree with Emily that Nick is looking dang good. His babyface is totally gone and its just hotface now. If they ever do come to Utah on tour I am totally there with you. I will have to test out there new cd.

Page said...

Last night, I had a very similar feeling to the "first love" feeling that you so eloquently described. I caught a bit of the movie "Titanic" on TV. I think Leonardo DiCaprio was the first celebrity that I really had a crush on. Can I still consider myself happily married if seeing him in that movie made my heart go flutter flutter?

Hannah said...

oh Lindsi! this cracks me up! I have to say that i saw your Backstreet Boys 'wallpaper" first hand and, if i recall, it took you some good time and some working through emotions before you could get yourself to take it down. Listen to that cd all you want. I will start worrying if I see those posters back up...

Salem said...

I knew there was a reason we are such good friends!! I LOVE the Backstreet Boys!!! Ask Page about being "my fire..." WE MISS LINDSI...when are you coming to Chicago??!!

Lindsi said...

I am so happy to see all of the positive feedback regarding my obsession. I was scared that you would disown me. I'm happy you all except me just the way I am. Also, I do feel Nick is looking good these days Em. Kevin Richardson has a little family, wife and kids, and felt it was more important to do the dad thing right now. Cute huh. I was proud of him. Hannah for some reason when I wrote about the poster wall paper I thought of you. Maybe because you were a part of the experience of taking it down? I'm not sure. :)

katers said...

hey linds. i don't have much to say about the backstreet boys obsession, because i was too much of a country music dork back in those days to be a fan....but i can't help but notice that many of your music choices on your blog seem to be "so you think you can dance" inspired.....or is it just a coincidince? (sp?) i hope it's not just chance! i love that show!!