Sunday, February 24, 2008

Mexico, Scooters, an Ambulance, and an IV

So we are back from our fun filled Caribbean cruise! It was a wonderful and much needed vacation! I will fill you in on the highlights of the trip later but first I have got a great story to tell. This is one of those stories that you will hear and think, "Oh yeah, of course Lindsi did that." It's just the way I roll. So here goes...
On Tuesday our cruise went to Cozumel, Mexico. Everyone had different ideas of what they wanted to do so we split up to go on our own adventures. Myself, Kim, and her sister-in-law Chelsea decided to rent scooters and drive around the island. We found a rental place (that ripped us off) and decided to just start driving in search of a beach. Kim was the leader and she was doing an excellent job. Kim saw a beach that looked promising and decided to turn in. Now I was just enjoying the ride and probably not fully paying attention. I looked up and saw Kim stopping and I panicked. I slammed on the breaks and then did the dumbest thing I could have. I turned the handle bars therefore turning the scooter on top of myself. My body skidded across the pavement with the scooter on top of me. It scared me pretty badly but I was able to get up and was fine. I had road rashed up my arms and legs pretty good. I also had a little bruise and cut on my chin. My helmet was scratched up, meaning it and the chin guard saved me from a lot more damage.
About 2 minutes after the crash an ambulance came speeding down the road with lights and siren blaring. I looked at Kim and Chelsea and we all were sure that it wasn't for me. Well, it was! The ambulance came and then the police showed up! They wanted to look at my wounds and clean them up. They ended up pouring peroxide over them (which you're not really supposed to do any more) and got me cleaned up. The police were taking notes and asking me questions in Spanish. I used my best Spanish skills to answer but I probably told them weird things. I don't know. It was a pretty entertaining experience.

Once I was all cleaned up we went on our way. We still went to the beach, rode all around the island, and had a fun day. When we got back to the scooter rental place they were ticked about the damage done to the scooter. They tried to tell me that is would cost more than $300.00 to fix the damages. I got pretty upset in return and fought with them a little but I ended up giving them $100.00. It was my only souvenir I bought. Lame.

The story doesn't end there though. Throughout the week my leg started to hurt more every day. It looked super disgusting and started to swell up and ooze. By Friday I was in a lot of pain. I was at the airport to come home on Saturday and it was huge, red, and oozing a weird green liquid. The flight home was one of the most miserable experiences of my life. When I got back to Utah I went to the emergency room and they told me I had a horrible infection and cellulitis. They put an IV in my arm and I had to go back every 24 hours for IV antibiotics. I had to do that for 5 days. They took the IV out last Wednesday and I just have to take oral antibiotics for 7 more days. It has turned out to be one of those adventures that is a good story but I would have rather gone without it. My leg looks way better now and I think the infection is pretty much gone. However looking at the bright side of this experience I can now say I have crashed a scooter, been in a Mexican ambulance, and had an IV in my arm for 5 days. Can you say that?

This is my leg when I went to the emergency room. All the bad sores are on the side you can't see but if you look at my ankle and the top of my foot you can see how swollen it was. Kind of nasty.

2 comments:

Page said...

WOW, Lindsi. Wow. I just don't know what to say. I'm glad you were able to have a fun week despite your oozing leg. I think I would have been crying the whole cruise! Good job not letting it ruin the vacation. Can't wait to see you soon.

Emily said...

Good thing you were wearing that helmet! What a Mexican adventure, those are the best kind! I hope you have at least a few little scars so you can share this story for years. And yeah, maybe I'm only a little surprised that this happened to you...